Re: Newbie needs guidance

Subject: Re: Newbie needs guidance
From: Quentin Mason (quentin-mason@cornell.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 12 2000 - 11:43:11 MST

Hi,

The method of booting depends on the age of the machine that you have. If
it is a "New-world" machine then your really must use yaboot. If it is an
old world machine ~<1999 then BootX is easier.

> 1. So first of all I have a little hang up with XBoot, I can start in
> Mac and then reboot to Linux but for some reason if I just want to go
> directly to Linux when my machine starts everything hangs at the
> screen saying: booting...

It probably cannot find something that it wants. Is this using yaboot? if
so then you probably need to edit the yaboot configuration file to tell it
where the kernel is and the correct video arguments. If you have an
old-world machine then yaboot will not work -- use the BootX extension.

> I get the idea of going into yaboot.config and changing the script
> but change it to what? could someone give we some guidance here??

Sorry: I have an old machine :)

> 2. I sure would like to try MOL (mac-on-linux) but how do I do that?

You should read through and edit suitably the file /etc/molrc and then
type "startmol" in a terminal window. There may be an icon in the start
menu somewhere, but it is generally better to have a look at the log
output to get an idea of what it is doing. Hopefully that should work
first time, otherwise send us the error output.

> allow me to mount my Linux partition (on my mac) or should I stay
> away from that for now?

Yes -- for an IDE disk I am pretty sure that this does not exist. For
SCSI there was some utility on the Linuxppc 2000 CD which you could try.
MountX no longer works and is unsupported [and causes hard crashes].

> 3. I would like Linux to see my printer which is on a ethernet
> network. If I go in as the administrator how do I find the printer
> and how would I give myself privileges?

I do not think that you need to worry about permissions for printers in
such a simple setup. To setup the printer I use Afterstep --
Administration -- Printer in the start menu. It asks very reasonable
questions. If your printer is postscript then life is relatively sweet,
if not then it may be more difficult for linux to write the files in
whatever archane format the printer wants.

I hope this is a starter.

Q.