Re: mac start up

Subject: Re: mac start up
From: Marcelo A. Ferreira Gomes (suporte@mac.com)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 18:57:59 MDT

At 21:35 -0300 18.07.00, Ed Jaeger wrote:
>I had a heck of a time with my setup doing this at first. What is
>probably happening is that you are starting MoL off the same MacOS boot
>disk as you use for booting your computer natively under MacOS - this
>probably won't work with any normal assortment of extensions/control
>panels/etc., since the the hardware emulated by MoL will probably not
>correspond to the hardware MacOS detected when it was installed.

I'd like to stress that the emulated hardware is not necessarily different
from the real thing, but most of the time will be, as Ed has just told us.

My particular hardware is pretty similar to the emulated one, so I don't
have much trouble in that area.

>Try this - start MoL with the shift key held down, to start with
>extensions off. If you boot completely this way (of course, probaby
>without network support, etc.) then make a separate partition for MoL
>to boot from, install a "Universal" system onto it, and mount your
>regular Mac volume(s) as non-boot volumes so that you can get to them.
>Then, copy over the extensions, etc. that you need (and only the ones
>you need) and restart MoL to test. This worked for me...

... and it would probably work for everyone else. But there's an easier
way. Most people won't be switching very often between native MacOS and
MoL. So, it makes sense to build a couple of Extensions Manager settings,
one for native MacOS and the other for MacOS under MoL. During bootup, hold
down the space bar and choose the appropriate settings for your MacOS:
native or emulated.

Please note that this does not work if you have any incompatible extensions
that load too early in the boot sequence: even before Extensions Manager
itself. But I guess you could live with that, since there aren't too many
of those around.

--
Questions about Macintosh?
Send them to suporte@mac.com, your Macintosh support,