Re: Odd ethernet TCP/IP problem switching between MOL and regular Mac OS

Subject: Re: Odd ethernet TCP/IP problem switching between MOL and regular Mac OS
From: Albert W D'Amanda (aldamand@home.com)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 12:43:34 MDT

Darkshadow wrote:

> This is normal, MOL uses an emulated ethernet card,
> instead of the actual ethernet hardware you have in
> your computer. So when you start up MOL, it switches
> to the ethernet J9 because that's what the mac sees.
> When you restart into the actual MacOS, you will get
> the message that it's switching and it will switch
> back to using ethernet built in. To manually switch
> back, all you have to do is open the TCP/IP control
> panel, it will do it by itself.
>
> Darkshadow (aka Mike)

OK. I understand that, but let me pose you a hypothetical situation.

Assume that I am in In linux and using netscape navigator as my
internet browser only, and Not for mail.

 In mac I am using outlook express for mail

Assume that for some reason I desire to switch to outlook express for
look-see at my mail

 I open MOL , But on the mac side I can not connect to my mail server
since the ethernet connection has switched.

This means that I have to leave MOL and reboot and select Mac thru
bootX.

I do not want to leave MOL. That is my dilemma and question asking.It
seems to me that the answer is to generate a linux patch to prevent
TCP/IP switching on the mac side when you open MOL.

Of course there is a practical solution-use linux netscape mail, but
that is not the question I am posing.

albert