Re: Screen blanking as an extension conflict?

Subject: Re: Screen blanking as an extension conflict?
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@ibrium.se)
Date: Sat Jun 03 2000 - 13:45:16 MDT

On Sat, Jun 03, 2000 at 01:55:35PM -0500, Geoff Hutchison wrote:

> I can get MOL to start up cleanly when I turn of extensions or when I
> just use the MOL-in-a-window version. But when I turn on the console
> version of MOL and start up with extensions, it goes through startup
> normally. Then it hits the Finder and puts the monitor to sleep!

It boots *all* the way to Finder before the monitor is put to sleep?
If not, the following might apply:

MacOS normally changes the resolution somewhere in the middle
of the startup sequence (if booted with extensions enabled).
MOL assumes that all modes listed in /etc/fb.modes are valid,
provided the video hardware accepts them.

Unfortunately, the video hardware normally accepts modes
the monitor does not support. That is, if there are unsupported
modes in the /etc/fb.modes file, MOL might end up using them
without knowing the monitor can't display them and are sleeping
instead.

Good Luck!

 E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
  Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 7908470