error -1856

Subject: error -1856
anvil@digithought.net
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 12:11:15 MDT

[Warning this message is quite large, and not very topic specific
  it should go to the development list instead but it looks dead so
  I send it here instead , simply ignore if you don't
mind. ]

Hi,
I just wanted to say that since the MOL community is happy to have two
sound drivers,
you could try both of them , Samuels driver is somewhat nicer done in
setup way ,
ie it loads as the operating system please, so if you get that one
working it's probably recommended
I haven't successfully had it to work myself though (still working on
it), anyhow
the main differences is that Samuels driver , loads as in an recommended
way,
but the MacOS 8.x ? is so dumb that it just refuses to use it , it seems
like the sound output panel
tries to find default output before it loads the custom sound output
component,(et.
(which makes it crash) , I also tried it with an Old World ROM , then it
render a error type 10
(line 1111 trap error) ), however Samuels driver also provide multiple
freqencies so you can
customize the output just like you do in macos (using the sound ctrl
panel).
My driver on the otherhand is very cruel and initializes itself in a
hacky way ,
which had the pro that it will work on virtually any MacOS version that
MOL supports ,
but doing things the hacky way isn't recommended that's also why it
renders some problems (mostly about changing setup , bits / freqs and so
on)
instead with my driver you have to write your custom control panels
(yikes),
however the most fatal problem is that audio can die at points, the
MOLAudio extension of my driver
is an appe , unlike Samuel's my doesn't quit when it loaded the sound
component , instead
it patches the sound manager to gain successfuly working [read more
about it some lines down] sound,
on all platforms that 1. MOL supports 2. has version 3.x or later of the
Sound Manager,
[now , why it works ...]
however since I experimented quite alot with the sound manager while
writing this
extension I figured a way to force macos to use my custom component ,
(that's also what Alex Lagutin helped me with , the hack is simply a
patch to NewSndChannel)
however the main problem about that way - quicktime wont work , so
that's where I had
great adventage of Alex's knowledge , (he found an undocumented function
of sndmgr)
I can't tell more about it since Alex whishes this to remain secret , of
different reasons.
However , why I'm telling this though is to give any dev, who feels like
making MacOS 8.x? sound support
working under any circumstance.

But to avoid confusions I will remove my sound driver soon , instead I'm
adapting some of the techniques
I use to Samuel's [MacOS] driver , I also feel like esd support is
missing in the linux driver , but that's no big problem.

<-- other info (mostly interesting for developers) -->
Note, I'm currently working on some other projects (wheras some is
MOL related),
I use MOL pretty much for my MacOS development (in general), because
it's a more stable
and awesome way to both write and debug MacOS applications, especially
the OSI_LOG function,
however it's a bit "restricted" by default (it doesn't print mem dumps
and such thing unless you write additional code)
so I'm very glad to have done such modifications , the result is Delice
, a DCon clone for usage on MacOnLinux,
I talked to Ed Wynne about cloning the API and he had nothing against it
, so if you're using DCon for your MacOS
development , you now can switch to Delice with MacOnLinux without any
need to modify your code.

/Fredrik