Re: Some good news, some bad news...

Subject: Re: Some good news, some bad news...
From: Quentin Mason (quentin-mason@cornell.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 08:20:40 MDT

Hi Bruce,

> I have run into a snag with the FireWire drive though. It doesn't
> appear at this point that I can mount my FireWire drive. I haven't
> dug too deep yet. Also, dismounting and ejecting CDs does not appear
> to work. I can unmount the CD, but MacOS warns that I won't see it
> again until I restart. Sure enough, the CD doesn't eject and doesn't
> spin down. Is the fact that the CD is loaded (but not mounted on the
> Linux side) when MOL starts up a factor?

wrt Firewire Drive + camera.

At the moment this cannot be done. The reason is that while you are
running MacOS inside linux, you are not using the MacOS serial, firewire,
or USB input protocols: Samuel is putting some sort of virtual device into
the MacOS which can get the correct information _from_ linux. Try looking
at your System Profile in MOL -- you will see what I mean. Therefore if
you are not beta testing firewire support in 2.4.0test? kernels then you
cannot have it in MOL.

Do the CD's show up with a CD icon? I do not think that you can remount
drives in MOL at the moment, though I recall Samuel saying that it would
not be too difficult to add. There is a way to export partitions or CD's
via netatalk -- which presiumably can therefore change. Look at the
netatalk information /usr/doc/netatalk... but I think the deal is to add
some flag to the mount command (you might need to recompile mount with
netatalk support).

Sorry,

Q.