Re: Failed to map RAM

Subject: Re: Failed to map RAM
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@ibrium.se)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 16:01:50 MDT

>The READMEs/FAQs indicate that VM in MOL should be off (mine is) and
>to jack up my memory allocation for MOL in /etc/molrc. But if I set
>mine any higher than 40 MOL gives the following error:
>
>map_zero: mmap: Cannot allocate memory
>Failed to map RAM: Probably an of memory condition.
>
>Additionally, I can only run MOL about twice after which I get this
>error no matter what. If I dump out of X and come back in then it
>works again.

You seem to be a bit short of memory. How big swap do you have?
And what does top say about the memory when MOL is running?

You might want to try adding a swapfile (if you don't happen
to have an extra swap partition around - see the man pages
of 'mkswap' and 'swapon').

Currently, MOL does not deal very gracefully with an out-of-memory
condition (although, it should never panic the kernel).

Btw. I've uploaded 0.9.56 to the FTP archive. The 2.4 binary
is built against 2.4.3-pre8 (a rebuild is necessary for older
2.4 kernels).

Regards,

 E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
  Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 7908470