Re: Which kernel are people using on the PBG4??

Subject: Re: Which kernel are people using on the PBG4??
From: Iain Sandoe (iain@sandoe.co.uk)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 07:10:14 MDT

----------
>From: Gavin Hemphill <hemphill@drea.dnd.ca>
>To: mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
>Subject: Re: Which kernel are people using on the PBG4??
>Date: Thu, Aug 02, 2001, 13:16
>

> Iain:
>
> I'm using the latest linux-2.4.8-pre3-ben0 rsync on a Yellowdog 2.0
> PowerBook 3,2 (Titanium). As far as I can tell, sound is still broken.
> The modules appear to load - here's a snipit from dmesg
>
> dmasound_pmac: Awacs/Screamer Codec Mfct: 1 Rev 3
> PowerMac Screamer DMA sound driver rev 016 installed
> Core driver edition 01.06 : PowerMac Built-in Sound driver edition 00.06
> Write will use... etc.

looks OK ... BUT - you have a Rev3 Keylargo (I think) which is probably not
checked in the current BenH version - so...

either BK + patches or...

look in dmasound_awacs.c and locate the init code that tests Keylargo
revision ... add in a check for Rev 3) - it should be obvious where ... but
I can help if not.

(a bit short of time today .. sorry for terse replies).

> Starting KDE results in lots of static, then no sound from anything.

Hmm... are you using aRtsd ? - this may be broken endian-ness (I don't know
for sure).

ciao,
Iain.