Re: Ruff Pack 0.80

Subject: Re: Ruff Pack 0.80
From: Jack Valois (jvalois@pacbell.net)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 19:57:30 MST

on 2/23/00 10:37 PM, Jim Cole at greyleaf@yggdrasill.net wrote:

> Well, I am not positive about "easiest", but I can tell you what I did when
> I started using Ruff Pack 0.75. I started by wiping my current system and
> performing the most basic install I could manage from the CS 1.1 CD. I then
> did an rpm -qa to get a listing of everything that was installed, and updated
> each of those packages using rpm's from the 0.75 tree. I then went through
> the 0.75 tree and installed everything else that I needed or that looked
> interesting.
>
> I am not sure that it is necessary that everything be from the Ruff Pack
> tree, but I decided to play it safe. I suspect that upgrading some packages
> (especially things like glibc) may break some of the older packages. I was
> also trying to get my system to a state where I could do some valid debugging
> of the new stuff if necessary. But I wouldn't suggest this approach unless
> you just want to play and have time to burn. When all was said and done,
> I spent most of a day and half getting a functional system back online.
> But things have been working great since then ;) For 0.80, I will probably
> be lazy and just rpm -Uvh anything with a new version number.

So I have been a busy little puppy attempting to install everything and I am
making good progress. I have run across some problems with dependencies
though. Is it geerally acceptable to ignore an error like when installing
the newt*.rpm packages it wants to replace libnewt.so.0.40 with
libnewt.so.0.50, but there are several packeges that depend on
libnewt.so.0.40.

Can I just use the --nodepens option in this case and not brake the packeges
that need an older version of that lib?

If not, then we will need new RPMS for the following packeges: authconfig,
kbdconfig, ntsysv, setuptool, timeconfig, Xconfigurator, and mouseconfig.

Jack