Re: MOL & 4.1.99.1 + a couple of points.

Subject: Re: MOL & 4.1.99.1 + a couple of points.
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@ibrium.se)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 17:06:57 MDT

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 11:37:46PM +0100, Iain Sandoe wrote:
> Hi list (I'm a newbie here)...
>
> Just tried MOL (BK pulled one hour ago) with the xfree86 TOT (4.1.99.1).
>
> molvconfig dies completely - sorry no OOPS or debug - three-finger-salute
> needed to get going again.
>
> reverting to 4.0.99.03 is OK

Interesting.

> - but I still have video modes which put the screen over to the display
> right and high.

You probably have a bad /etc/fb.modes file. MOL obtains its
video modes from several different sources

/etc/fb.modes
/usr/lib/mol/vmodes/*.modes

The /etc/fb.modes file is typically provided by the distribution.
Which file contains the bogus modes?

> This is a little strange because under MacOS9.0.4 MacOS9.1,
> MacOS-X and XF4 linux position the displayed area correctly.

XFree86 does not use the /etc/fb.modes file (usually, built-in
modes are used).

> Any hints on
> what to tinker with would be appreciated. (g3/beige with atimach64).

Make sure your /etc/fb.modes file contains good modes (and preferably,
no other modes).

> a (minor-ish) niggle. There's something about FaxSTF inits that seems to
> blow up under MOL (error 10 on MOL/macOS9.0.4 boot)
> ... it would be nice if there were some way of shimming the serial access
> (at least to do nothing)

...yes. Plugging the serial hardware is something which should be done.
The fact that MOL does not implement serial hardware is currently
the main compatibility issue.

Unfortunately, the serial hardware is quite complex - plugging
the hardware requires some work. An alternative solution would be
removing the serial driver (or better, replacing it with a
custom one).

Cheers,

/Samuel

 E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
  Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 7908470